First Presbyterian Church, Oxford, had its beginning in 1837. In that year, all of North Mississippi had been recently acquired from the Chickasaw Indians and opened to new settlers. On July 15, 1837, a gathering was held in a carpenter’s shop for the purpose of organizing a new church. Four visiting ministers were present.
With a few additions, modifications and modernizations,the Sanctuary building has served us well. Two other structures, the Education Building, constructed in 1962, and the Fellowship Hall, built in 1988 and renovated in 2016, comprise the church campus. An adjacent city block to the east of the sanctuary was purchased for future expansion in 2004 and currently houses our youth and college ministries.
Rev. Jesse Stratton was the first pastor and only served a couple of months. Rev. John M. Semmes was our 25th pastor for 14 years before being called into interim ministry in 2018. We trust that God knows who is called as our 26th pastor and look forward to welcoming them into this community of faith. There are approximately 700 members as of 2018.